Culture in the Classroom: A Seminar for Teachers
Spanish Studies Abroad in Seville offers a summer course specifically designed for teachers of Spanish as a second language and university students preparing to teach who wish to develop professionally through deepening their intercultural knowledge and experiences.
In this course, students focus on creating methods and materials to develop communicative competence in their students and introduce the linguistic and socio-cultural aspects of Spanish to their classroom.
Not only will this interactive class give participants the opportunity to improve upon their own curriculum, but also to develop their own linguistic skills and understanding of Spanish culture. Through living in a host family and participating in cultural excursions, participants integrate experience with pedagogy. In addition to keeping a journal, participants compile a portfolio of authentic materials and incorporate them into exercises and activities for the classroom to encourage progress in reading, writing, speaking, and listening, as well as cultural perception. Students also deepen their knowledge of the Internet and its applications in teaching Spanish.
"Culture in the Classroom" is offered during the second term of the summer program in Seville, Spain. The class meets for 60 contact hours for a total of (4) course credits (graduate credit available for qualified candidates, please contact Spanish Studies Abroad for details), and is taught in Spanish.
- The dates of the program are June 29 to July 21, 2018.
- The application deadline is April 15th, 2018.
- Click here to see a copy of the syllabus.
- Graduate credit is available for this course. See Graduate Credit Options for details.
- The price per participant is $4,500. Discounts are available for current teachers. Contact Spanish Studies Abroad for more information.
- Cost includes: Orientation, Tuition, Room & Board, Health Insurance, Study Tours, On-Site Support, Spanish Studies Abroad Transcript
Spanish Studies Abroad